You do not have to be an expert to help your child with homework. The Colorado Academic Standards are focused on critical thinking so asking your child these three simple questions can help develop deeper understanding:
- Ask “How do you know that?” to prompt your child to think critically about reaching an answer.
- Ask “Can you prove it?” to encourage your child to defend a solution or explain an alternate route.
- Ask “Can you use this in a real-world situation?” to spark thinking about using what’s learned in everyday life.
Want to learn more?
The DPS standards website provides additional information and parent resources on the academic standards and how you can help at home. Visit Colorado Academic Standards to find the following resources:
- Parent guides for all grade levels.
- Standards and students with special needs.
- Technology expectations by grade level.
For questions, please email email@example.com.